Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Welcome to the Hellmouth

Little Buffy the vampire Slayer reference in that title there, yep, very clever...because I consider this to be something like Hell...although there's no mouth...

Me blogging...this means I am bored and can't be bothered writing anything that's worth reading. Just for future reference, it is UNLIKELY that I will be bothering to put up pictures either. It's also possible that I don't bother blogging after this. Who knows? Who cares? Not me. By gumb.

So...what have I learned today? Nothing quite possibly, but I did learn something that's perhaps interesting (I think it is) yesterday. Many, even most stars in the universe have binary partners, a nearby star that balances them out, and they orbit each other to some extent. I already knew that. I also already knew that our particular sun doesn't have one...that's just something I took for granted. I mean, jeez. As it turns out, I may have spoken too soon. In maths, there's this thing you can do, basically judge the frequency of any wave by looking at its harmonics (musical term, means the notes that add up to the main sound you hear, the signature of some particular musical instrument, it's why they all sound different even when they're playing the same note, the different harmonics all add up and so forth). Well, using this information, and I don't know how so don't ask, you can divide it down or up or possible sideways...whatev. The point is that you can apply this same formula to other things, such as the frequency of mass extinctions on Earth. Some say, based on the evidence, that it's about every 28 million years. One possible reason is that comets hit the planet that often, but WHY that often? One possible explanation is that our sun has a binary partner after all, holy hell, quite a distance away, way outside of the solar system, forever invisible, but there, and that every 28 million years or so, it comes close enough to this great mass of trillions of comets that is outside the solar system and sends some of them merrily on their way to Earth. This other sun is known as Nemesis, even though it's never been seen, and as far as I know the evidence for it is all just conjecture...but it's cool conjecture (or speculation for you people out there who prefer that word, but if you do, I will have no part of it, so I take that back...people who say 'speculation' are the worst kind of evil and it would be best for humanity if they were launched into space. Wait...I usually say speculation...oh yeah. Okay, so as it turns out, the guilty party are those who say 'conjecture'. You all must DIE!!)

Yes. Indeed. Well, I found it interesting. Whether you do or not...I don't care. I'm just typing for the sake of typing really. And now I shall stop.

That is all.

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

First comment! Woooo! Best paragraph ever. More comment to follow :p

lildavie said...

That was great! Rambling genius....no one does it better than you Michael. Does sound like an interesting theory. Looking forward to your future postings :D

cmaynard said...

Great, some fool gave you a medium to semi-publish your rantings, joyous!
True they can be interesting, I am amused!
I think we may have never seen this star due to its lack of existence...
I think I doubt said star, as there is no evidence for it.
On the other hand a large mass of dark matter [currently undectable] in a binary orbit with our sun sounds cool!
Anyway must go practice teleporting now and messing around with the space-time continuum, random portals, YAY!

michael said...

damn fine point, maynard. damn fine point. although you will note that I said 'possibly' more than once throughout that load of rambling. I didn't actually believe the binary star thing, was just saying coz it was an interesting concept, but the dark matter theory does sound a lot more plausible.

michael said...

hmmm...should probably read my things through before I actually publish them...probably shoulda mentioned in my comment just now that I don't really believe the binary dark matter thing either...I mean, evidence for even that is scarcely better than for the binary star thing!

sez said...

You're a binary star.

Nice blog. Update again and I'll add you to my list of cool people. And that is the coolest list ever. That's right. EVER.